Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Post Recruits Haul

Hey everybody. Just a quick update about Recruits convention in Kansas City. It was last weekend and me and the whole crew of boys had a good time. (17, 10,8 yrs old respectively). I ususally run a Full thrust or Song of Blades and Heroes game, but since the BAron didn't go, and since its football season(friday night games and practices) baoled on hosting a game. Will do a spring one for sure.

We shopped when we got there first thing. It ususally takes about an hour or two to say hi to eveyone, buy stuff, and talk to vendors, so no gaming in the first session. We walked around and the boys were wanting to buy immediately. But since they were on there own dime, with limited budgets, that took care of that.

Went to Jason at MicroPanzer first off. I bought a set of production masters of his new 15mm scifi SAS guys last convention. When I redid the Workshop of Doom, I misplaced them. Now I have no idea where they are. So I bought  another pack, and added a couple of his new Wardroids too. Nice sculpts, but looks to be a bear to build. MAny small pieces, and he's working out the uniques production process to go from a 28mm RP fig to a 15mm RP fig to a lead cast fig. I will be using the Wardroids to go with my Critical Mass Light Recon guys I am working on now.

I saw a copy of Tomorrow's War, from the guys at Ambush Alley. Looks great. The pdf is coming soon. So I will be getting it until the printed copy comes out.

A QRF vendor was there so I bought a couple of Modern French APC's. I have no idea what they are so maybe they are no-descript enough to work for sci fi low/medium tech forces.

I also picked up some miscellaneous stuff to use for 15mm sci-fi. A Grendel tank, a couple of Battletech rocket tanks that look like 15mm drones for fire support.

And as everyone knows I love horror clix, I got a whole brick of the Freakshow Clix, for $20.00. Not a lot of useful guys in there, but a few. And as always, prepainted zombies in every edition. So that helps build the hordes.

At the silent auction I bid on 3 boxes of Demonworld Empire sets, but lost. I also bid on about $150.00 in Warhammer Fanytasy Roleplay books. And won for $15.00. So I liked that.

The boys bought various and sundry stuff, most unconnected by a theme. 15mm minifig Spartans, Clan Wars Samurai, A Star Frontiers Drasalite. All very odd but cool stuff.

We did the Paint and Take and I got the new Sgt. Stone fig from the Reaper Chronoscope line. A Sgt.Rock knock off. Its a very nice fig and will be used for my Wierd World War Two figs. Nolan painted a Nova Corp Cop, and a Brain Alien. Logan Painted an Imperial Roman Legionaire. It was really good. HE is getting better.So is Turner. He did the Sgt Stone fig as Robert Downey JR.'s character from Tropic Thunder. And he painted a Fantasy gragoyle/harpy in purple that is very subtle and very cool.

I finally go to play a game at 1:00. I played in Chris' Commands and Colors game. Carthage and Rome. It was great. I love this system. It all makes sense in a gaming way and in a historical way. Its a very subtle kind of game, even though it looks simple. Can't wait for C&C Napoleonics.

That's about it. Fun Day. We caught a hail storm going home. that was fun. Looking forward to a winter of painting and planning for spring Recruits.

No comments: